We made ‘The Bake’ at the shop daily for years. It was available until we ran out. The Bake is an adaptation of a Christmas breakfast tradition at the Luck household. Most of the work is done in advance so feeding a hungry family breakfast requires little work in the morning; allowing everyone to participate in family activities.
We no longer make this but hope you will make and enjoy at home for family gatherings:
You will need
- 6×9 Pyrex pan – BUTTERED
- Butter (for pan)
- ½ CUP Bisquick
- 3 CUPS Snowville Whole Milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 link Kielbasa sausage
- 12 oz (¾ pound) cheddar cheese cubed
- 1 box (4.2 oz) Dry hash brown potatoes
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry onion
Preparation (at least one day before cooking)
- coat Pyrex pan with butter
- cube cheddar and Kielbasa
- shred cheese or crumble in blender with two tablespoons of the measured Bisquick (not additional Bisquick) to prevent a sticky mess.
- in the buttered pan – layer ½ the potatoes then ½ the cheese then ½ Kielbasa then remaining potatoes then remaining cheese – save remaining Kielbasa for blender.
- Blend milk, eggs, salt, pepper, remaining Kielbasa, and onion and pour over layers in pan
- Cover pan with foil shiny side down, lid, refrigerate 24 hours.
- remove lid from pan, leave foil on.
- cook 30 minutes @ 400 degrees
- remove foil and continue cooking @ 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until firm – shaking does not cause a jiggle.
- cool for 10 minutes & cut into 8 even pieces.